Brooklyn, NY — Full-time
At Alluvium, we put machine learning to work inside the production lifecycle of industrial operations. Our products provide operators a portal into the stability of that production and a means to ensure its continuity. We work with some of the world’s largest and most complex industrial operations: oil refinery platforms, power generation stations, and advanced manufacturing plants. While sophisticated mathematics and computation are at the heart of our technology, our products succeed by empowering the men and women working in these complex industrial systems to make better decisions faster, allowing them to focus on their work and trust us with their data.
We are a tight knit and highly collaborative team where everyone is expected to participate in end-to-end project ownership. As a Software Engineer you will work on a wide variety of projects: from designing and implementing reliable distributed stream processing systems — and building integrations with unique industrial protocols — to spending time on-site listening and learning from our customers’ unique requirements and workflows.
Alluvium is currently seeking Software Engineers to join our team to work directly with our world class engineers and data scientists. Your work will be central to the design and implementation of intelligent software that solves real world data problems for our customers. This is a unique opportunity for engineers who love working on a wide variety problems and different aspects of complex software systems.
What You Will Do
- Build reliable and scalable software capable of ingesting noisy data from complex physical systems
- Work across our entire software stack, regularly switching context between different levels and components of our system
- Deploy, test, and observe your software in the wild to ensure it meets the user's unique demands
- Participate in technical planning and be responsible for tracking and executing your work
- Spend time with our customers to better understand how they work, how they use software, and how we can improve both experiences.
- Minimum of three years professional experience
- Strong independent development in Scala and Java plus developing and deploying on distributed systems
- Experience with continuous integration processes via Jenkins and deployment via Docker/Kubernetes on Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Proficient in synchronous and asynchronous collaboration and tasking via in-person meetings, video conferences, Slack, and Github
Important Things to Know About Us
- We are an early-stage startup, founded with a strong technical vision but very little pre-existing knowledge of how our customers got work done. Since day one, we have had to learn how to build for — and sell to — our customers. We have learned a great deal, but we know we have infinitely more to learn as we continue building our products and growing our company. This process is uncomfortable and difficult, but it is what we are constituted to do. By joining the team, it will also be what you are expected to do. In other words, if you are looking to wake up every day with absolute certainty as to what you will be working on, or thinking about, this is not a good fit.
- Our work exists at the intersection of old, hard, dirty, and dangerous jobs and advanced machine learning and software engineering. We are pretty good at the latter, but are always seeking to better understand how our customers do their work. For this reason, we regularly work outside of the office: putting on hard hats, ear plugs, fire retardant clothing, or oxygen masks to seek firsthand experiences of our customers’ work. For us, these are some of our most memorable and exciting workdays. But, this is not for everyone. If this sounds exciting, let’s meet; if not, this is not a good fit.
- Alluvium is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin. We strive to build a workforce that reflects the diversity of experience and expertise of our community. We know that our success depends on recruiting and retaining talented people from a wide variety of backgrounds, as well as professional and personal experiences. If you are from an underrepresented group in technology, we would love to meet you.
What We Offer
- Competitive salary and early stage equity packages
- Generous paid time off (PTO) and family leave policies
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Multidisciplinary team to grow and lead with
- … did we mention the fire retardant suits?
How We Work
- Put people first, because we strive for human impact in everything we do
- Stop and listen, because listening is where learning begins
- Welcome evolution, because the best way to do something may always be changing
- Seek the firsthand, because getting it right often takes getting real dirt on your hands
- Lead with humility, because to succeed you must be conscious of your own ignorance
How We Do Not Work
- In isolation, because the problems we are solving for our customers are big and hairy, and in order to solve them we require regular collaboration and communications with each other
- On a single track of work, because building our company is as important to us as building our products
- At all hours, because we have families, and we cherish our time with them
- In the office everyday, because we believe people do their best work on their own terms, but also that sometimes there is no substitute for sitting with your colleagues and building
If you are interested in joining our team in Brooklyn, NY please fill out the form below.