New York, NY — Full-time
At Alluvium, we put machine learning to work inside the production lifecycle of industrial operations. Our products provide operators a portal into the stability of that production and a means to ensure its continuity. We work with some of the world’s largest and most complex industrial operations: oil refinery platforms, power generation stations, and advanced manufacturing plants. While sophisticated mathematics and computation are at the heart of our technology, our products succeed by empowering the men and women working in these complex industrial systems to make better decisions faster, allowing them to focus on their work and trust us with their data.
Alluvium’s purpose to turn complex and noisy streams of data into information our customers can use to make better decisions. Data science is at the core of everything we do. As a data scientist at Alluvium you will have access to some of the world’s most fascinating and critical data. What you build will support decision makers in some of the largest sectors of the global economy.
We are currently seeking Data Scientists to join our world-renowned team and continue our groundbreaking work. If you are eager to push the boundaries of what data science can do, this is the best place to do it.
What You Will Do
- Use notebook tools, such as Jupyter and Zeppelin, to explore data generated by unique machines and complex industrial operations
- Experiment with cutting-edge machine learning methods, particularly online, reinforcement, and deep learning methods
- Work in teams to develop production-ready algorithms using our proprietary execution environment
- Present your work both internally and externally at professional and academic events
- Spend time with our customers to better understand how they work, how they use software, and how we can improve both experiences
- Advanced degree (MS or PhD), or minimum of 2 years professional experience, in relevant technical field or position
- Strong independent development in common open-source statistical programming languages, such as R or Python
- Experience working with large amounts of time-series data and familiarity with streaming data
- Familiarity with strongly-typed languages, such as Scala, for building production-ready algorithms
- A portfolio of work that highlights your creativity and intellectual curiosity with data
- Strong communication skills, with an emphasis on the ability to understand your audience and flexibility to communicate complex topics to non-experts
Important Things to Know About Us
- We are an early-stage startup, founded with a strong technical vision but very little pre-existing knowledge of how our customers got work done. Since day one, we have had to learn how to build for — and sell to — our customers. We have learned a great deal, but we know we have infinitely more to learn as we continue building our products and growing our company. This process is uncomfortable and difficult, but it is what we are constituted to do. By joining the team, it will also be what you are expected to do. In other words, if you are looking to wake up every day with absolute certainty as to what you will be working on, or thinking about, this is not a good fit.
- Our work exists at the intersection of old, hard, dirty, and dangerous jobs and advanced machine learning and software engineering. We are pretty good at the latter, but are always seeking to better understand how our customers do their work. For this reason, we regularly work outside of the office: putting on hard hats, ear plugs, fire retardant clothing, or oxygen masks to seek firsthand experiences of our customers’ work. For us, these are some of our most memorable and exciting workdays. But, this is not for everyone. If this sounds exciting, let’s meet; if not, this is not a good fit.
- Alluvium is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin. We strive to build a workforce that reflects the diversity of experience and expertise of our community. We know that our success depends on recruiting and retaining talented people from a wide variety of backgrounds, as well as professional and personal experiences. If you are from an underrepresented group in technology, we would love to meet you.
What We Offer
- Competitive salary and early stage equity packages
- Generous paid time off (PTO) and family leave policies
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Multidisciplinary team to grow and lead with
- … did we mention the fire retardant suits?
How We Work
- Put people first, because we strive for human impact in everything we do
- Stop and listen, because listening is where learning begins
- Welcome evolution, because the best way to do something may always be changing
- Seek the firsthand, because getting it right often takes getting real dirt on your hands
- Lead with humility, because to succeed you must be conscious of your own ignorance
How We Do Not Work
- In isolation, because the problems we are solving for our customers are big and hairy, and in order to solve them we require regular collaboration and communications with each other
- On a single track of work, because building our company is as important to us as building our products
- At all hours, because we have families, and we cherish our time with them
- In the office everyday, because we believe people do their best work on their own terms, but also that sometimes there is no substitute for sitting with your colleagues and building
If you are interested in joining our team in Union Square (NYC) please fill out the form below.